The Club‎ > ‎Club Weekly Notes‎ > ‎

15th June 2011

posted 15 Jun 2011, 07:09 by Unknown user   [ updated 15 Jun 2011, 07:15 by Mark Evans ]
Visit to Áras an Uachtaráin
St James’ club members have been invited to Áras an Uachtaráin to meet the president on July 15th. The invitation was issued following the completion of the sports hall and in recognition of our achievement. Any club member wishing to be included is asked to submit their name by text to the club secretary at 086 6017283 by 5pm this Monday June 18th. This is a definite deadline as names must be submitted to the Áras immediately to arrange passes. Anybody travelling on the trip must have photo ID – e.g. passport, driver’s licence, etc. As numbers are very limited and must include children (dressed in club colours), it is expected that a draw will now have to be made to select those travelling, and many unfortunately will be disappointed. The draw will take place this coming Wednesday 22nd June at a club meeting at 9pm. The bus will leave the Chapel Cross on Friday July 15th at 8am, returning around midnight. Cost of bus is estimated to be around €18–€20 per head.

Junior A football (played in Ardfield 12th June 2011)
St James’ 3-11 Tadhg MacCarthaigh's 1-8
‘Football is a simple game, really.’ These wise words uttered on the St James’ bench last Sunday emerged from the wellspring of optimism that a good win brings to a club. And with the next championship match only weeks away, St James’ junior A footballers seem to have turned a corner at just the right moment. Sunday’s opponents, Tadhg MacCarthaigh’s, had a player sent off just before half-time, but by then it was already evident that they could not contain St James’. Micheál McCarthy (D) put in another fine performance at full-back, and was ably assisted by corner-backs Denis Fitzpatrick and the unflappable Eoin Deasy. Seamus McCarthy acquitted himself very well at half-back having taken over the responsibility from his injured brother Micheál, whilst wing-back Mark O’Brien was first to everything that came his way and proved again that he is at the heart of this St James’ team. In attack, the O’Sullivan brothers, Paul and James, and the Evans brothers, Mark and Ian, did most of the damage: between the four of them they accounted for nearly all of St James’ scores. James O’Driscoll made a welcome return, having been out with a broken collar bone, and was quickly up to speed, whilst Donnacha McCarthy and Frank Hayes were also constantly on the move up front, with Hayes instrumental in the opening goal when he fought hard for the ball before passing to the well-positioned James O’Sullivan, who expertly drove it home. Kevin O’Brien and Kieran O’Donovan were a towering presence in midfield, with O’Donovan first to every kick-out and putting a hole in the back of the net with a superb goal courtesy of the energetic David Hayes, who had carried the ball virtually the entire length of the pitch – side-stepping every Caheragh player in his path – before laying off a slide-rule pass to O’Donovan. Tony Hayes, coming off the bench and not fully fit, was still faster than every defender in his way, and as expected scored a trademark point. Ian Evans, in a typical flash of brilliance, scored St James’ third goal to ensure no way back for MacCarthaigh’s.

Team: Diarmuid O’Donovan, Eoin Deasy, Micheál McCarthy (D), Denis Fitzpatrick, Mark O’Brien, Seamus McCarthy, David Hayes, Kevin O’Brien, Kieran O’Donovan 1-0, James O’Sullivan 1-2, Mark Evans 0-4 (2 frees), Donnacha McCarthy, Paul O’Sullivan 0-4, James O’Driscoll, Frank Hayes. Subs: Ian Evans 1-0, Tony Hayes 0-1, Garrett Lombard, James Hayes, Tadhg Casey, Fearghal Beamish